Tricep and Shoulder Burn
This is such a great beginner tricep & shoulder workout you can do at home with light to medium dumbbells! Incorporate this workout into your weekly routine and begin increasing weight. This is a great one to do later in pregnancy or to pair with one of the treadmill workouts Ives provided in the following blog post here!
Equipment Needed: 2 Light to Medium Dumbbells
Workout time: 15 minutes
Format: Complete 10-15 reps or 45 seconds on with a 15 second rest between each move, repeat 2-3X
Instagram demo here.
Move 1: Skull Crusher + Close Grip Chest Press
- Lie on your back with feet table top, arms parallel and lifted with weights above your chest.
- Bend your elbows 90 degrees to lower weights toward your skull, then extend to lengthen the arms. Repeat.
- Bring your weights together to touch, squeezing forcefully. As you inhale, bring the weights down toward your chest. As you exhale, press the weights firmly away.
Move 2: Negative Close Grip Press Variation
- With the weights squeezed together, as mentioned above, lower down for a count of 3 and pulse at the bottom before exhaling and pressing up for a count of 1.
- You can then rep out the pulse and finish with a burn out of full range close grip press at a count of 1 to 1.
Move 3: Tricep Kickback Progression
- From a kneeling or standing position, hinge slightly forward. Hold your weights in either arm with elbows bent forward.
- As you exhale, lengthen your arms back behind you --controlling the weights. Pause, inhale and bring your arms back only half-way to the starting position. Exhale and lengthen back one more time before inhaling and bringing back full range to the starting position.
- Repeat this pattern for 15-20 reps. For a more intense burn, lengthen the arms back and pulse for 15-30 seconds , before repping out full range for 30 seconds.
Move 4: Shoulder Isolation
- Start in a seated position with elbows in line with shoulders and weights in each hand. Rotate your right arm open 90 degrees, then back to center. Rotate your left arm open 90 degrees, then back to center.
- Inhale, open both arms in unison to a wide “goal post” position. As you exhale, press the arms straight up overhead.
- Repeat the pattern. You can burn out the shoulders by pressing both arms up overhead or holding the goal post and pulsing for 15-30 seconds, before repping out full range.