THE Pumpkin Spice Cookie
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice...these cookies will have you coming back for seconds and thirds.
We are basic and we LOVE pumpkin season. Ives snagged this recipe from her mother-in-law and it has sugar, spice, and everything nice (aka butter).THE Pumpkin Spice Cookie you will make on repeat every Fall. The cookies have a cake-like texture that is fluffy and not too sweet. The brown sugar frosting is to die for. We dare you to not lick the spoon or find some pretzels to dip in the frosting.
Prepares: 4 dozen small cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes per dozen
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, unsalted
1 cup cane sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 +1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
The Brown Sugar Frosting
6 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk (any kind will do)
1 tsp vanilla extra
dash of salt
1 + 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line baking sheets with silicone or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla, mixing well.
- In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of the batter onto cookie sheet about an inch and a half apart. Should fit 12 cookies comfortably onto each cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched. Cool completely before frosting. *Only bake one cookie sheet at a time in center rack of the oven and allow cookie sheet to cool completely before adding next batch of cookies.*
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the frosting. In a small pot, melt the brown sugar and butter together, then whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, lower the heat and cook stirring often for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Then stir in the vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Beat until well combined. Frosting should be thick, if needed add up to additional 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to get the right consistency.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, frost each cookie. Enjoy immediately or store cookies in an air-tight container and separate layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking.