Damn Good Food
Healthier Thai Meatballs
This Thai Meatball has just enough spice to keep your taste buds wanting more.
We love a good meatball recipe. These meatballs have an Asian flare with fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and chili paste. The sauce pulls it all together and is perfect with a side of your favorite sautéed or roasted veggies. If you want, you can bake a batch of the meatballs and keep the sauce on the side. That way you can toss the meatballs in weekday salads or have them available for quick dinners.
Prepares 12 meatballs
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1/2 C almond meal
1 Tbsp fish sauce or coconut aminos
1 Tbsp sriracha or red chili paste
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 Tbsp red curry paste
1 can coconut milk (just the cream skimmed from the top)
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tbsp coconut sugar
optional 1 tbsp red chili paste for some heat
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine ingredients for meatballs. Let rest for 5-10 minutes so that almond meal absorbs extra moisture. Shape meatballs and place about 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Should make 12 meatballs.
- Bake meatballs for 20 minutes, then flip and bake additional 15 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes the meatballs are baking make the sauce. Add sesame oil to a sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, but taking care not to burn, about 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate. Reduce heat to low-simmer.
- Once the meatballs are done, remove from the oven and add to sauce. Serve over zoodles, rice noodles, rice, or quinoa.