Damn Good Food
Spicy Sausage & Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie
My go-to on Friday nights to keep the whole family healthy and happy!
This dish has become a family favorite in the Talamo household. A spin on the traditional spicy sausage pizza making it is a fan favorite for Friday nights.
Makes 4 servings
1 medium sized baked spaghetti squash
1 pound Italian spicy ground sausage
1 can tomato sauce (look for a brand without any
added sugar, I actually used hunts!)
1-2 tbsp of your favorite spicy sauce, I used Trader Joes Zhoug spicy herbal sauce or omit if you don't like spice
2 cups chopped spinach (sub for your favorite veggie)
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup chopped red onion
3 eggs whisked together
Bake spaghetti squash (ahead of time, even the day before):
- Slice in half horizontally and scoop out seeds and goop.
- Place squash side face down in a casserole dish with 1 inch water.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes (depending on size of squash) or until you can place a knife through the skin.
- Scrape the spaghetti-like strands from the skin and refrigerate until time for use.
- Preheat over to 425 degree F and set aside a lightly greased 8" X 11" baking dish.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, saute ground sausage and onions on medium heat until meat is no longer pink in the middle.
- Add tomato sauce and all remaining ingredients, except for the whisked eggs and combine.
- Add meat mixture into a 8" X 11" baking dish, adding the whisked eggs, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place in oven on middle baking rack and bake for 50-55 minutes at 425 degrees or until lightly brown on top. If you can do dairy, sprinkle with mozzarella for the ultimate pizza pie!
- Let cool for 5-10 minute, serve, and enjoy!