GIFT GUIDE: Mom Up Edition
Looking to buy the perfect gift for the mama in your life or even better yourself? Take a peak inside for 6 gift ideas for the mama or any women that needs a little self-care in their life.
This gift guide was made with the mama in mind, but is really for any woman in your life who needs a little self care (but don't we all). My goal was to create a list of gift ideas (and deals where applicable), focused on shopping intentionally and putting our money where our values are. I took some time to jot down my personal favorites or new businesses I want to try and included as many women owned small businesses, BIPOC small businesses, and local businesses on the list as I could. Remember, more than anything, your time is the most valuable gift that you can give. So let go of pressure, buy when it feels right or if you love to give. Don't do it out of obligation and know that a hand written note, a phone call, or simply baking someone cookies is one of the most meaningful gifts you can give. Most of the gifts I included are under $50 and they are items that I either plan on buying for loved ones or myself, because hey we can all use a little self care in this season.
Natural skin care and hydration:
Youth to the People>> A brand I have been wanting to try, they may not fill the bill for the above I described but they do believe in fighting against social injustice, making changes to reduce their footprint, and supporting activists in their community. That I can get behind. A few of their products that have rave reviews and that I currently have in my cart include their:
ILIA>> A woman founded and you can even find their products at Follain which is Seattle based.
- I personally bought this holiday set for $48. Use code unwrap20 for 20% off on CyberMonday (they may still have deals all season). The holiday kit was a steal in my eyes, including 4 clean beauty favorites 45% off). It includes a beautiful lip shine, eye liner, the best clean mascara I have found (I have tried multiple and this is the first that doesn’t flake, clump, or just look bad). Check it out yourself! If you know a new mama who barely has time to shower, this beauty upgrade can make any mama feel alive! Especially when they know there is intention behind the ingredients.
BLK AND BOLD>> Black owned business in which I haven't tried yet but is definitely be on my list. Whether it's a subscription or a bag of beans, this will excite any tired mama starting at just $14 a bag.
Seattle Coffee Works>> A Seattle shop, subscriptions start at $20 a month. This is my (Christy) personal fav and go to. You can't go wrong with any of the beans.
Necklaces with meaning:
Baleen >> Local to Seattle in the Ballard neighborhood, my favorites are their simple clean lined necklaces that can be worn every day.
Made by Mary >> Women (and mama) owned, personalized jewelry, I created my own necklace with Kaila’s birth date on it in roman numerals to make it more interesting.
- The bar and disc necklaces are my favorite and you can customize by birth flower, name, date or any message you would like. This bar necklace specifically says "mama" on it to make it easy or you can customize of course!
Personalized Calendar or Travel Mug:
Create a special calendar or travel coffee mug using one of these services. This is a perfect gift for the grandma (your mama), because we all know that grand kids brighten up any day! Ives and I both made or are making calendars for the grandparents this year.
- Artifact Uprising >> Beautiful customizable photo projects, including this elegant walnut desktop photo calendar for $30 it is simple to make and doesn't take up much space on a smaller desk. This is for the elegant grandma.
- Shutterfly >> The one stop shop for anything you want to customize with photos. As mentioned we are both love being able to make a customized calendar with meaningful family dates (birthdays, anniversarys, etc.) and pictures of memories from the previous year to go with each month. They run deals all season, so prices will vary.
A gift card to shop locally, here are a few of my favorites in my hood (Ballard):
- September Shop>>Their line up is essentially what my dreams are made of, the owner is a doll and we love just stopping in this shop to say hi. If I wasn't a penny pincher my entire wardrobe would be from this shop.
- Standard Goods>> If you need a unique, PNW inspired gift this is the store to go to! Their Good and Well Supply Co. National Park Candles would be a great gift for the adventure lover.
- Molly's Bottle Shop>> Natural wines galore. When you feel safe to visit the store, they will answer all of your natural wine questions. All I know is that they don't add all the BS other wines include, so you are less likely to wake up with a headache. Win. Win.
We hope this gift guide inspired you to give with intention and even to give back to yourself if you are able. Making a donation in someone elses' name is also a great way to give in the year 2020.
Christy & Ives