If you make a recipe 3x in a week, then you know it's damn good. This banana bread is gluten free and refined sugar free. I have made it with flax eggs too and it still tastes amazing! Also, it's the perfect amount of batter to make 12 badass banana bread muffins. If you opt for muffins, then bake time is 30-35 minutes versus 50 minutes for a loaf. If you opt for muffins, I highly encourage you to get some Maldon sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top when those muffins come piping hot out of the oven. You can thank me (Ives) the flaky salt addict later.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
3 very ripe bananas *
2 cage-free, organic eggs or sub 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg = 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp h2o mixed and let sit in fridge for 5 min)
1/4 C organic maple syrup
1/4 C coconut oil
1/4 C cashew butter (any nut butter works)
2 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 + 1/4 C almond flour
1/4 C coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pink salt
1/2 C dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips (use carob chips or Lily's chocolate chips if omitting refined sugar)
1/3 of a 100% dark cocoa bar, chopped into various size chunks
* I throw my bananas in the freezer when they get too spotty and wait until I have enough to make bread or muffins. Just thaw them at room temp before making the bread.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs into mashed bananas.
- Place maple syrup, coconut oil, cashew butter, tahini, vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamom in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds until you can stir together all ingredients.
- Combine your wet ingredients with the banana egg mixture.
- Add all remaining ingredients into your bowl (almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and pink salt). Do NOT over-mix the batter. The coconut flour will start to thicken the batter.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with chopped dark chocolate and lightly press into the batter. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Let cool before serving. Store wrapped tightly in foil in the refrigerator.