Damn Good Food
Split Pea and Chunky Potato Soup with Bacon
You may think that split pea soup is for the boring, but add some bacon on top and you may be singing a different tune.
This recipe will give you all the loaded baked potato feels when you add full fat Greek yogurt, bacon, and mined parsley on top, while still packing in the veggies and plant protein. You can make the soup on the stovetop or Instant Pot, I have noted the difference below.
Prepares: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes (10 minutes if using the Instant Pot)
1 tbsp EVOO or grass fed butter
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into coins
2 small to medium yukon potatoes, chopped (peeled if you desire, but this mama doesn't have time for that)
2 cups dried split peas
6 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 bay leaves (remove before serving)
1 cup kale (optional add for more veggies)
Bacon (nitrate free when possible), cooked according to the package and chopped (1 slice per bowl)
Full fat Greek yogurt
Croutons or bread for dipping
- In a large pot sauté EVOO or grass-fed butter with onions on low to medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and smoked paprika until onions are translucent. If making with an Instant Pot, simply use the sauté feature for this step and the next.
- Once onions are translucent add chopped carrots and chopped potatoes.
- Sauté for an additional 10 minutes before adding dried split peas and chicken broth. If using the Instant Pot, turn the sauté feature off and add the remaining ingredients. Put the lid on, secure shut, and press the pressure valve backwards to then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- If using the stove top, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat covered for 30 to 40 minutes. If using an Instant Pot, let pressure valve release naturally once the 10 minutes is up.
- Stir frequently on the stove top and enjoy alone and you can always add protein of choice, smoked bacon gives you all the comfort flavor you can ask for and top with full fat Greek yogurt and croutons for all the goodness!
- I added a handful of chopped kale into the pot during the last 10 minutes as it was simmering for an extra boost of nutrients!